From Uttlesford District Council on 19 March 2020:
Central hub set up to support fantastic community effort
There has been a fantastic reaction in Uttlesford to the coronavirus pandemic with so many people stepping forward to organise and join local support groups.
Uttlesford District Council, the Council for Voluntary Service and Volunteer Uttlesford are keen to encourage and support these local actions. We want to make sure everyone in Uttlesford receives the help they need, and that volunteers and those they are helping remain safe and supported at this time.
A central hub has been set up for local group organisers to let us know what they are doing in their community to support their neighbours.
We have a team on hand who are experienced at coordinating community projects and supporting local groups. If you are unsure about anything or need help or advice with what you are doing, please get in touch:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 03333 408 218 (between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday)
It’s not clear how long the current situation is going to last, and volunteers will be needed throughout to support older and vulnerable people in our district. We’re therefore also keen to hear from anyone who may not yet have volunteered but thinks they might want to get involved, now or at a later date.
People will particularly be needed to fill the following community-minded roles:
- Providing reassurance and signposting to services and advice
- Offering friendship – for example, being a telephone or Facebook buddy
- Doing simple tasks such as picking up shopping for others
- Collecting prescriptions
Anyone who feels they can help should get in touch through the contact details above.
- Follow us on Twitter @Uttlesford DC
- You can also follow our Business Development Team @UDCBusiness, our Communities Team @UDCCommunities, and our jobs feed @UDCJobs
- The Chair of the council is on Twitter and can be found @UDCChair
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/UttlesfordDC